Border Crossing is a private document processing center and it is not affiliated with any government body. We offer paid assistance with travel card services offered by the government. You can obtain travel cards by using us or going to the government directly. Our expertise is to explain the government jargon and simplify your traveler card application process. You are welcome to learn more about Border Crossing by visiting our Home, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use pages.

Global Entry FAQ

Global Entry FAQsOn this page you can find some of the most frequently asked questions about the Global Entry pass. Please read them carefully before contacting us with your question.


How do I get Global Entry pass?
You will not receive a physical Global Entry pass. If you are approved for Global Entry pass membership, you can start using your passport at the Global Entry kiosks.
Do I need a Global Entry pass for use with SENTRI or NEXUS travel lanes?
A card is only required for expedited entry at the SENTRI and NEXUS lanes coming into the United States. It is not necessary to obtain a Global Entry pass to continue using Global Entry at airport kiosks. The card will be mailed to your address 7-10 days after the interview.
How can I get my Global Entry sticker?
CBP no longer uses stickers and is no longer issuing them.
Am I eligible to participate in the Global Entry program?
The Global Entry pass is available for US citizens and permanent residents. However, there are other groups of people which qualify. For more info please see our Global Entry program requirements page.
How long is the Global Entry pass valid for?
The Global Entry pass is valid for 5 years. You can renew it card 1 year before its expiration date.
Can I fill out one application form for the whole family?
There is no family application form. You must fill out a separate for each member of your family including children and infants.
If I have a Global Entry pass, can my children use the Global Entry kiosks?
Children and even newborn infants must have their own Global Entry pass in order to use self-service kiosks. We process children under 18 at half price.
Am I obliged to declare food items or products when using the Global Entry kiosk?
Yes. You must declare all agricultural products that you bring into the U.S. Failure to declare agricultural products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties.
What are the Global Entry fees?
We charge a fee of $115.99 for regular processing and 175.99 for expedited processing to review and submit your documents for CBP approval. Additionally, there is a CBP fee of $100 for adults and children.
Can I get a refund if I change my mind?
You can get a refund only if you have not yet sent in your application form to us. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more info.
How long will it take to get a Global Entry pass?
It can take up to 6 weeks to receive a Global card. If you plan to travel soon and need your card faster, we recommend that you use our Express service. This way we will process your application before regular applications and you have a good chance of being approved sooner. Please not express applications can only be prioritized within our company; there is no express processing in the CBP system.
How do I book my Global Entry interview?
Once we have submitted your application to CBP, we will send you an email with instructions how to enter your profile and schedule an interview an enrollment center of your choice.
What can I expect at the Global Entry interview?
Most of the questions you will be asked at the Global Entry interview are similar to those you answered on the application form. You can read more here.
Where do I find my Global Entry membership number?
You have to log into your Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) account. The membership number is listed toward the bottom of the page.
Is it a good idea to apply for a Global Entry pass with an offence?
Yes you can, however, you may be denied. Your chances are good if you committed the offence more than 10 years ago and/or you obtained a pardon for it.
Why am I denied a Global Entry pass?
The reasons for denial can vary. If you failed to provide complete and truthful information on you application form, or you made a mistake in entering your data, you might be denied. Other reasons for denial are a past conviction, non-compliance with customs or immigration laws.
What happens if I have lost or damaged my Global Entry pass?
In case your card is lost or stolen, you can request a replacement card by logging into your GOES account and selecting Manage Membership-Request for Global Entry pass. The replacement card costs $25.


Please refer to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy before purchasing our Global Entry pass service.